Thursday, December 6, 2007

Mom's the word

I have heard a few complaints about my lack of blogging in the past month. I realize I am a bit of a slacker, but I also think it's unfair for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas to be only a week apart for me right now. I've done a lot and don't you worry. I'll catch up. I haven't forgotten you. For now, a quick thought on something that happened the other day:

I have come to learn that motherhood means an entirely different thing than I previously believed. Not that I was completely wrong. It does mean that you get to change diapers, wake up at night (although not any more...thanks little E), deal with a few uncomfortable issues, but that in the end it's still worth it in the end. Right now, not only do I feel like it's worth it. I feel like I would do anything in the world to keep this going.

I realized I had reached a whole new level of motherhood when Ethan was taking a nap the other day and I was doing something highly productive (as I ALWAYS am doing). I turned my head to the side and got a huge whiff of spit up. This wasn't the surprising part, in fact, I would bet 90% of the day right now I probably have spit up on my shoulder. The surprising part was that I enjoyed the scent. It made me smile as I thought of him. Almost like he was someone I hadn't seen in a while and thinking of him again made me smile. So now I know that not only do I get to change diapers and smell like a puke factory all day long. I actually enjoy it. I am one sick puppy. But really, look at this kid. I bet you like his spit up too.

3 comments:

Liz said...

that's a great photo.....and nice pondering. I had a thoughtful moment this week, too, thinking about the scent of my baby and how there is really nothing like it (even the chunky milk on my shoulder scent!)

Celeste said...

I know exactly what you mean..only I don't handle the smell of spit up as well as you do. But i am loving motherhood more and more each day.

Anonymous said...

Ah Tara, I am so glad you are enjoying motherhood so much. It is quite refreshing and comforting given the stream of complaints I hear from some moms.

Furthermore, wholly moley your kid is soooo cute. Brett and I were ooohing and ahhhing. I am sure all moms think their babies are cute. But some are unfortunately deluded. Not you my friend. That baby is grade A baby meat. He makes my heart swell.