Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Happy Birthday to John!

Actually, it's a little early, but this was one of his birthday presents. He has a tendency to buy himself things right in the beginning of October. Year after year, he would go clothes shopping for himself (which would ONLY happen once a year) or decide to buy something that he's been thinking about for awhile. The only problem with this is that I would usually be planning on buying that very thing for his birthday, which happens on the 25th of this month. It used to drive me crazy. Now, I just call them birthday presents and save any other ideas I have for Christmas! 
Well, this year is a little different. He couldn't save this one for the end of the month. He found a guide to take him Salmon fishing. And Salmon fishing only happens for a little while, so this one was just fine for him to "open" a little early.
So John found a guide, named Mark, who took him on the Upper Feather River, I think in Gridley, CA. But he met the guide in Yuba City, which means he got up and left our house at 3:30 am. You never have to question how much he likes fishing. If you're willing to give up sleep for it, that's a pretty good test.
 It was kind of fun, because I would just get random pictures of fish throughout the day on my phone.
 John said they had caught their limit by 7:30am. They got on the water at 6am!
 After that, they were just fishing for bigger and better ones.
 This baby was huge!
 So the limit they can each catch, was two.
 These were John's babies. And they were HEAVY!
 Oh, maybe I should warn you that these aren't for the squeamish.
 Then the guide, Mark, even filleted the fish for us!
 John said the guide's boat was super nice and he said the River was awesome.
 I'm so glad I thought of giving him such a fabulous birthday present! 
 It was SUCH a fantastic present, that John was telling his employees about it the following day, and came up with the idea to pay for his employees to go the next weekend. We usually do a nice dinner for everyone and their wives/girlfriends, but John wanted to mix it up this year.
 So he had two of his employees take him up on the offer.
 And they fished right below a set of little rapids.
 John hooked the first fish, then Matt caught one (above), so when John hooked another fish, he handed his pole to Victor to reel it in. He thought, if this is for them, then I want them to enjoy the trip, and it's no fun if you're not catching anything.
 Victor fought the fish for quite a while. Then as soon as he got it into the boat, John said he wished he had been more selfish. He said it was the nicest fish of the day!
 That thing ended up being over 18 pounds!
 But the guys were happy, so I guess that is more important in the end.
 John was glad that the guys were both happy to be at work the next day, in spite of hanging out all together for 14 hours the previous day.
 When they filleted the 18 pounder, they discovered the reason behind all that weight! Just look at all those Salmon eggs! And that was only half, the other side had just as many.

2 comments:

brit said...

My husband and I have the same problem with gifts. He just barely prevented me from buying a tablet because he has already bought me one for Christmas.

Sounds like you did an awesome job on his birthday this year.

Scott McMillan said...

Way to go John!! I am impressed. Danny does the same thing. It actually works out to my benefit because he is never disappointed. happy Birthday John!