Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ethan turns 4!


We woke up early on Ethan's 4th birthday and headed to the best place around here to get donuts!

 Ethan of course went for the vanilla sprinkles donut, and told me that Lincoln really wanted the vanilla with coconut sprinkles. To me, it looks like Lincoln wanted the entire case. Do you see how he's protecting his bounty?
 We got the donuts home intact (Ethan held them on his lap for the ride home, so that really is an accomplishment), and Ethan got to blow out his candle on top.
 Lincoln wasted no time in devouring his donut. 
 Although both of the boys seemed to prefer the others' donut, so we practiced our sharing and everyone was happy.
 Everyone wasted little time talked and mostly just cramming.
 These were my donut selections. Oh, anything with almond paste will make me swoon. I will have you know though, that Ethan enjoyed the old fashioned donut for lunch though. Breakfast and lunch of champions, right? Maybe that's why he didn't take a nap later...
 This is how he felt after eating the donut, I didn't think the "crash" would happen quite so suddenly.
 He made a quick recovery though once he noticed the pile of goods, just waiting to be opened.
 The rest of the day, I dedicated to making this masterpiece! I am very proud of my first solo-attempt at working with fondant. Never a good idea to do in a pinch, but I certainly am not going to make this kind of an effort just for the sake of practicing, it was far too much work!
 That night we had a few friends over to enjoy an obstacle course.
 I was planning on having them hold hands as a train to get through, but decided they probably would enjoy just racing through better. I think themes can be a little too much effort sometimes. They sure are cute, but a lot of effort.
 I didn't get pictures of it, but we did have railroad tracks up to our door (made from duct tape) and a detour sign to lead them to the side gate. There there was a sign that said, "Give us your loudest CHOO CHOO and the conductor will open the gate." Then where they came in, there was a railroad crossing sign. 
 Dinner was fabulous! (I can say that, because John did all the BBQ-ing) He made tri-tip, hot dogs, and grilled corn, and Jane cut up the fruit for fruit salad, and I opened the container of potato salad. I was too exhausted after all the cake-making. 
Evidently red is the best color for blondes. Maybe there was a little more theme-ing going on!
 Then it was present time! I was amazed at all the kids' willpower in looking at the pile of presents.
 And if there was any theme at all to his presents, it went with the party theme! I don't think we need any more Thomas paraphernalia.
 And he loved every minute of it!
 The boys were all so excited to see all the train and car things! Grammie Pammie sent a whole package of goodies, with a new coat, blanket, and lots of cars things.
 Jane brought about a million presents for Ethan to open, including a huge art easel with a giant roll of paper along with markers, paint and chalk. She also got some super cute dress-up clothes, including a bee costume for Lincoln. I'll have to get pictures of it all sometime.

 The big present from us was this super sweet orange "specialized" bike. Ethan was so excited and wanted to ride all around from then on.
 We finally persuaded him to get off the bike for the cake. 
Here is a somewhat extended version of our Happy Birthday song!

 Ethan got a drivers suit of Lightning McQueen from Papa Rex and LeeAnn. He was so excited about it that he wanted to wear it to bed that night, even though it was about a hundred degrees in his room.
UPDATE: Jane got a great picture of the easel in use later this month. He is starting to love coloring! I love hearing him explain what he is drawing!
Ethan is one spoiled boy, we were amazed at all the generosity of everyone. I don't think we need to buy any presents for Christmas now, there isn't anything he could need!

No comments: