Saturday, September 25, 2010

My first Triathalon!

Now, don't get too excited, it is a shorter Tri -- called a sprint Triathalon. But let me assure you, there was no sprinting happening. Although I'm so proud of myself for doing it, I certainly wasn't aiming too high in the time department. 
I started training with friends when Lincoln was only 2 months old, and I definitely couldn't have done it without John's support. I had a lot of early morning training happening! He was definitely not a huge fan of that part of it! But he did take care of the boys when I left to run or swim at 5:30 or 6 in the morning. And when you have a 2 month old, that actually means more than just sleeping in the same house as them. Lincoln likes to wake up at about the same time, so that does mean early mornings for John too. We'll just say he was glad to see this day finally come so he could sleep in!
So the morning of the Tri, we met up at 5:30 to get to the race all together.
 Because we had registered as a group, we got to set up all of our stations together. This was awesome!
 I had to get in a little nursing time with Lincoln right before race time, since I had no idea how long it would actually take me to complete the race.
 Here's the group of us ready to dash into the water.
 Can you find me?
 I'm still smiling after the swim portion, so that's good. The swimming part wasn't that hard, it was all the people in the water at the same time that made it hard. I felt like I couldn't get a good stroke at all. I might get one or two strokes and then I was swimming on top of some one else, so I would slow down to give them some room, and then try again with the same results. It was super frustrating. I think the next time (if there ever is a next time!) I would try to get a little closer to the front of the pack when I started.
 Here is the end of the race, and I can't believe it, but I'm still smiling! The one major setback from the event was that I did end up knocking the whole bike rack over when I was getting my bike off -- sorry ladies! That and I had to run a 5k after biking 11 miles. I loved the biking part though. I was over-trained for that part. I didn't even mind the swimming part. But boy oh boy do I hate running. Then to have to do that last, was just really TRI-ing (haha, yes, pun intended!).
 We all really did feel like super women after that though. My muscles were sore but I was completely energized!
 Don't I look like a superhero?

No comments: